Historic Heber Downtown Mural Initiative
Phase 3 of Art in Public Places
Call to Mural Artists
Heber City, Utah
United States of America
Heber City + Heber Valley Chamber of Commerce + The Community Alliance for Main street are excited to announce phase three of Heber’s Art in Public Places initiative. The goal of the initiative is to support the transformation of Heber’s historic downtown into a world class destination. Phases 1 and 2 of our art initiative produced two world-class murals. Phase 3 is intended to consider murals of equal or higher qualify.
**PLEASE THOROUGHLY READ THE INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE APPLICATION FORM**
Open to all artists. Must be 18 years or older to apply.
May 16, 2022
We are seeking an artist or artist team to create a mural for the west facing wall of the Alpine Lodge located at 90 N. Main, Heber City, Utah. The wall is made of painted metal siding (see pic below). Wall length is 31 feet and 3 ½ inches. Wall Height 8 feet and 8 inches and includes the 11 inch brown bottom concrete (wall pic below). It is hoped the mural would be sized to fit most of the wall area.
The selected site is visible to the 30,000 cars that drive by the building on a daily basis. This site is also located immediately across the street from Heber’s most historic building site—the Tabernacle Building built in 1889. The importance of this mural project cannot be under estimated due to its visibility on Main Street and proximity to the Tabernacle building.
The selected artwork should consider the themes of welcoming visitors, outdoor sports destination and activities, wildlife, local mountain and forest scenes, local historical or nostalgic images, historic Heber Main Street images, or variations of these themes.
The artwork should also be of a creative nature to serve as an instagrammable photo-op for visitors.
2022 PROJECT TIMELINE/SCHEDULE
- May 16, 2022: Applications/submittals due
- May 17 through May 27, 2022: Submittal reviews by art committee of downtown stakeholders and artists
- Week of May 30, 2022: Mural selection
- A finalized sketch of the winning design is due at least two weeks prior to the beginning of painting. Final sketch will be reviewed by committee to ensure project meets desired outcomes.
- June through July, 2022: Painting/installation will take place (exact dates are flexible within this timeframe and will be negotiated with individual artist).
COMPENSATION: You'll be asked to enter your estimated expenses for the material cost of paint and compensation for the artist(s) time, on the Artist Application form as directed. The selection committee will consider mural cost as part of the mural selection criteria. Heber City will manage the preparation of the wall and scaffolding which do not need to be calculated in the artist’s cost estimate. The selected Artist will be required to execute an agreement detailing terms of the Artist engagement.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please fill out our Mural Artist Application Form online or by visiting www.Heberut.gov. Include with Application the following items:
- Application Form
- Portfolio consisting of at least 2 previous work samples—art samples preferred—and reference information
- Detailed sketch and/or colored replica of proposed mural art work
If you have questions about the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 435-657-7885.
The Selection Committee will select the winning design based on the following list of criteria:
- Artistic quality of submitted designs and past work samples
- Appropriateness of artwork in scale and imagery to be visually effective
- Relevance to the applicable themes as listed in the project descriptions
- Instagrammable opportunities for community engagement
- Mural cost, although not a top factor in the selection of the mural, will be considered in the selection process
ABOUT HEBER CITY AND THE BEAUTIFUL HEBER VALLEY
Heber City Utah, is located in a beautiful mountain valley just a short drive from the Wasatch Front. The area offers outstanding year-round outdoor recreation including golf, fly fishing, boating, and watersports, plus skiing and other winter sports. In summer, temperatures are usually cool and pleasant. In winter, abundant snowfall makes this a paradise for winter recreation. Several outstanding resorts and romantic bed and breakfast inns are located here. Please visit https://www.gohebervalley.com/ for more information on Heber City and the Beautiful Heber Valley.